The Immigrant & Refugee Service Corps, an AmeriCorps program hosted by CIC, mobilizes community support to increase services to newcomers and others in Central Indiana. IRSC members took the lead in formulating the Ethnic Self-Help Charter, which identified mental health as an urgent need for newcomers.
From left: Mussie Ghebreyohanns; Damaris Franco; Ben Leslie (kneeling); Mayor Greg Ballard (not an IRSC member); Erin Tock; Liz Irk; Rose Ohiami; Eduardo Luna (kneeling); Lauren Morgan; Katey Humphries; Hanako Gavia
More about IRSC members
- Mussie Zena on his family’s US citizenship This is from Catholic Charities Indianapolis — Refugee and Immigrant Services. Mussie Zena is a member of the Immigrant & Refugee Service Corps serving at Catholic Charities.
- IRSC’s Liz Thompson Every semester Liz tracks 150 Butler students serving at approximately 10 sites. She directly oversees three sites that work with the immigrant and refugee community:
- IRSC’s Erin Tock Erin Tock is a first year member of the AmeriCorps program, the Immigrant & Refugee Service Corps. Erin’s host site is NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness in Indiana.
- IRSC’s Katey Humphries Katie Humphreys is a first year IRSC team member whose host site is Exodus Refugee, where she organizes and implements Cultural Orientation
- Don’t miss our events for Spirit & Place (and more!) Spirit & Place is starting. CIC and the Immigrant Refugee Service Corps are organizing some can’t-miss events.
- IRSC presents Immigrant Heritage Showcase June 30th — an opportunity to share your family’s heritage story. Bring photos, items, and food that showcase your family’s immigrant heritage.
- IRSC member Liz Irk Liz’s duties focus on reaching out to immigrant and refugee communities impacted by cancer, including organizing cancer-related educational opportunities for refugees and immigrants, recruiting and managing bilingual volunteers, coordinating outreach interpreters and managing material translations
In 2014 12 IRSC members were hosted by 12 agencies.
Butler University —Liz Thompson connects service learning to newcomers
Cancer Support Community — Liz Irk extends cancer support to immigrants and others
CTS Counseling Center — Damaris Franco provides bilingual marriage and family therapy
Exodus Refugee Immigration — Katey Humphries orients newly arrived refugees
La Plaza — Rose Ohiami facilitates Latino client interaction
National Alliance on Mental Illness — Erin Tock extends support to families struggling with mental illness
Immigrant Welcome Center — Hanako Gavia creates Welcoming Indy events and other community education
Big Car — Eduardo Luna brings community art to Latinos
Peace Learning Center — Damarius Johnson deliver’s PLC’s “mindfulness curriculum” in schools
Jewish Family Services — Lauren Morgan serves Jewish immigrant and refugee populations
Catholic Charities Refugee Resettlement — Mussie Ghebreyohanns conducts mental health assessments for new refugees
CIC — Lyla Spaeth connects faith-based groups with newcomers
You should also check out ...